Tuesday, December 21, 2010

A Christmas Party


We received a letter on Saturday to join our church in a special party in which they were honoring all of their pastors and missionaries. At the time I did not link together that this was in fact a Christmas party. Upon arrival at the church, all doubts were set aside. They had removed the speakers from the church and had Christmas music blaring in the front yard loud enough to be heard blocks away!



I was already excited about a time of food and fellowship with everyone, and with the excitement in the air, I knew this was a special night for them. All the Momma’s (the women’s ministry) and the Missionette’s had prepared a special meal and presentation.

The women were scurrying about, each one busy with some task, many carrying food or plates, some fanning to keep flies away from the food, other wrapping boxes. After offering to help and being promptly turned down (they were honoring us and wanted to do everything for us), I decided to play with some of the little girls who were making up hand movements to go with the Christmas songs. I remembered when I was a little girl I would do the same thing - some things just seem to cross all cultural boundaries! In fact, as I watched the women working, it brought back memories of our American church Christmas parties. There were no assorted sandwiches, no eggnog, or pumpkin pie – in its place were lap lap, rice and a banana cake. However, the women were scurrying about in the same fashion as us American women would and I suddenly felt a sense of home!

Of course, had I been home I would not have started walking to church, and ended up catching a ride in the back of a pickup truck. Nor would I have been sweating all day in December, thankful for the sun to finally go down! But none the less, the smiles, the cheer, the Christmas Spirit - it was here on this little island on the other side of the world.

Later, after eating the delicious foods they had prepared, each of the pastors and missionaries were presented with a special gift from the Momma’s. Words cannot express the overwhelming sense of gratitude. These ladies sacrificed their own vatu (money) to buy us two dozen eggs, milk, fruit, cookies and crackers.



This may not seem like much to you, but here, where an egg costs 50 cents and the average days wage is 10 dollars, this was a huge sacrifice! I watched as each of the pastors went to receive their groceries. I struggled to fight the tears. No doubt they had captured the meaning of Christmas. They gave. Not of abundance, but sacrificially, just as the Father sacrificed his only Son to come to earth on that first Christmas. I am so proud to be here among these beautiful people. I am honored and often, I am the one who is ministered to by their love and kindness.

We were thoroughly introduced to a Vanuatu custom in the process of receiving our gift. As we shook the hands of the Momma’s, a few of the Mommas walked behind us, dousing us in baby powder! I am not sure the significance of this, but I do know they had a lot of fun doing it and I had fun watching everyone else do it! Apparently, it is a festive activity accompanied by many of their celebrations. Nathan says he could really see his family getting into this custom!



Later at home, smelling fresh and still wearing a smile from the nights events, I pondered the kindness of these woman again. How hard it was to accept a gift from someone who has so little. I had to catch myself and remember the scripture that says “it is more blessed to give than to receive.” I remembered the joy that was in their eyes and how important it was to them to give to their missionaries and pastors at Christmas, and said a prayer that God would bless these women and their sacrifice.

Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment