Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Two Sides To Every Coin - Part Two (The Positive)

When I think of where life could have taken me and where I am now, I am forced to fight back tears. God’s grace has given me the life of my dreams! I am not speaking of a fancy house, a sports car, or trips around the world (although travel comes with the territory). I am talking about the overwhelming desire I have had since childhood to work for God, to make a difference, to be where He wanted me.

Simple dreams for some, but for me, they are the desires God has placed in my heart. There is no army of debaters who could convince me that a life more fulfilling exists elsewhere! There is no joy in life above fulfilling God’s purpose.

Now, I am not saying the work is finished, nor am I saying it is easy living here. What I am saying is this: We were all created for a purpose bigger than ourselves, and at the end of the day, what is done for Christ matters most.

It occurred to me recently, while reminiscing over the testimony shared by a fellow missionary to Africa at a Christmas banquet just weeks before we left the United States, just how blessed I am. I recall the tears she fought back as she told of the civil wars fought in the streets and of their dear pastor friend who was beheaded for all to see while trying to help others. Now I realize just how easy I have it.

Where we are, there is a constant stream of smiles on the faces. They are content to work their gardens. This country is known as one of the least violent places in the South Pacific. Yes, for the most part, they are uneducated by American standards. However, I’d find it interesting to see any American live off of their land as they do here, carry the work load they have here and survive on only pennies of income.

As I teach, I learn. I learn about their way of life. While I teach them to add numbers, I learn something new about surviving in the jungle. As I teach them the ABC’s, I learn how unmistakably free it is to laugh! As they listen to a new Bible story, I learn something about giving from a mother of three, and is also raising two relatives, who sends produce from her garden to us, the teachers. I learn about what humanity actually needs to survive, versus what our cultures teach us we need. I am their constant student and so far I have learned to love 23 kids who are not my own!

Today is Sunday and tomorrow we will start a new school week. I am thinking of Roger, who refused to look at us the first week of school, could not write his ABC’s and had given up on ever learning to read as he approached thirteen years of age. I am excited, anticipating his smile tomorrow. He is on the brink of reading, and although once considered one of my roughest students, he now tries to lead all the other boys in not giving Ticha (teacher) a hard time!

I think of Meliane, sixteen, sometimes playful and a bit of a cut-up. I remember her telling me she wanted to change her life for the better and asked if she could use my Bible to read on her breaks. She has a little notebook that is falling apart and it appears she is trying to copy my entire Bible into it!

I think of Doriane, who at fifteen, is so bright and always wants to be the first to recite her monthly Scripture.

Then there’s Patrick, who is 12. At first he had anger problems when he got an answer wrong. He just got a 100% on is latest test and is so excited about having more merits (good points) than the rest of the class!

I could go on and on in detail, but these are my positives! They are not just faces on some magazine asking me to send money. These are my kids! I am so proud of them and in tears, daily, I thank God I am not working my life away to buy something that will fade to dust, but am working my life away to invest in the hearts and souls of the beautiful children of Vanuatu. That is all the “positive” I need!

Jen

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome. Do your students need Bibles of thier own? I would love to help out with that. What can I do? Sorru I didn't sign the last post Nathan wrote. This is Donna Gwartney from Faith Tabernacle.

    ReplyDelete